In your quest to become a highly effective person, you have decided to get the best goal setting planner. Goal planning is very important – it is like a map of what you want to do with your time and what you intend to accomplish. Goal planners have been with us since ancient times. Today, goal planners come in all shapes and sizes, and in your quest to find the right one you may end up getting rather confused.
There is no goal planning tool that can be described as “the best”. You can have the most effective tool in your hands and even come up with lofty goals, but if you aren’t disciplined enough to put your goals into action you will not achieve much. A goal setting planner is only as good as you are – it will only work if you are prepared to make it work
That said, there are certain qualities of good goal setting planners, so as you shop make sure to look out for the following:
- It should allow you to set long-term goals. Goal setting is about more than just writing up a list of the things that you plan to do for the day. All the activity should be directed at a larger goal that you intend to achieve at the end of a certain time period. You long-term goals can take 12 months, 6 months, 3 months – it is really up to you and what your life plan is. The important thing is to get a goal setting planner that allows you to outline them clearly.
- The planner should allow you to break those long-term goals into medium-term goals and then into smaller, short-term goals. Long-term goals can seem daunting when you first write them down. When you break them into smaller goals they become more achievable.
- The planner should have space for a daily to-do list. Every day you have things that you need to do, either towards your intended long-term goal or just as a matter of everyday living. Have clear to-do lists so that you don’t leave anything unattended to.
- Your goal setting planner should be designed for what you do. If you are a CEO, for example, your goal planner will be rather different from that of a student. As you shop for goal planners make sure that their design allows you to plan properly.
- It should also be a high-quality planner. You will handle your planner a lot and it will eventually begin to suffer wear and tear. If you buy one that is made from cheap materials it is only a matter of time before it falls apart.
Lastly, make sure that you buy an affordable goal setting planner. You will need a new one at the end of each year or each planning period, and you don’t what to spend more than you can afford.