Linking Aadhaar with all the services has got so much attention that now people are making jokes that Narendra Modi has asked Virushka to link their marriage certificate with Aadhaar. Jokes apart, Aadhaar seeding is a real thing and if you do not link it with the respective services, the services will no be interrupted.
The government has earlier announced that the last date to link Aadhaar with PAN card along with other services as December 31, 2017. The last date has however been extended to March 31, 2018 which means now you have three more months to complete the process. If you have been looking for ways to the linking process, here are some of the simplest and quickest ways.
How to Link Aadhaar to PAN Card Online
If you want to link your Aadhaar number and PAN card online, you can do it through the official income tax website. There is a facility available on the Income Tax Department’ e-filing website-incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. You can easily follow the steps and get your PAN linked with Aadhaar card. The steps to do this are as follows:
- Visit the income tax e-filing website mentioned above.
- Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option
- Enter PAN card number, Aadhaar, and name of the documents holder
- An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number with Aadhaar card
- Give Aadhaar in PAN application form
How can you link through SMS?
At present, there is nothing you can do with your smartphone. From downloading movies to opening a savings account, from investing to shopping online, anything or everything can be done with this device. In addition to this, now you can also link your Aadhaar with Permanent Account Number (PAN) from your mobile. You can follow the below steps:
- You can type UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
- Send the SMS to either 567678 or 56161.
- You will get the confirmation message on the successful completion.
There are no additional charges from NSDL and UTI. However, SMS charges as levied by the mobile operator will be applicable. So, your operator will be charging the applicable amount. So, for example, if your Aadhaar number is 111122223333 and PAN is AAAPA9999Q. Then you are required to send SMS to 567678 or 56161 as
UIDPAN 111122223333 AAAPA9999Q
What happens if you miss the last date to link Aadhaar with PAN Card?
The deadline by Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has been extended to March 31, 2018, from December 31, 2017. The people who by any chance miss the date should know that below are the consequences they will have to face:
- PAN number will become invalid after March 31, 2018.
- ITR won’t be processed.
- A notice under ITR section 142 (1) will be issued.
- A penalty of ₹5,000 for not filing ITR on time.
- Can’t claim or carry forward the capital loss, business loss, etc.
- Refunds shall not be granted in case ITR is not processed.
- Interest under section 234 A, B, C will be levied as per the tax payable.
Are you facing the trouble in updating Aadhaar?
If you have been finding some issues during the linking process, you can be relieved as the Income Tax Department has introduced a one-page form for taxpayers. You can now manually update the UIDAI number. There is also an option to update the 12-digit number online and also through SMS. The later can only be done if your mobile number is linked to the Aadhaar otherwise your process will not be completed successfully. Nonetheless, you can follow the below steps to avoid getting interrupted:
- Visit the official website of Income Tax Department
- Make sure you mention correct PAN and Aadhaar Numbers
- Spellings on both the documents should be same
- A signed declaration that the provided Aadhaar number in the application form has ‘not been provided’ by them for the purpose of linking it with ‘any other PAN’.
What are the other documents you have to link?
If you have linked your Aadhaar with PAN and thinking that it’s all that you had to do, you are wrong. You will be reacting a little ‘Ugghh’ to know that there are some documents that you have to link else your day-to-day life will be affected. Have a look at them.
- You have to link aadhaar your savings Bank Account
- You have to link aadhaar your Mobile Number
- You have to link aadhaar your Driving License
- You have to link aadhaar your Credit Card
- You have to link aadhaar your Mutual Fund Investments