The flooring of any house interior is very important for providing stability and durability to the base of the house. Usually, the floors of the modern houses and apartments are either covered with ceramic tiles or marble slabs and a house owner should be aware of the benefits of both tile and stone flooring options. There are some structural and functional differences of these floorings and you need to choose the one according to your budget.
Notable Comparing Features Of the Tile and Stone Flooring:
- Natural Availability – The tile got its name due to the kiln-firing of red or white natural clay to form porcelain, terracotta or glass plates that can be laid over the subflooring layer. On the other hand, all varieties of flooring stones are obtained by unearthing from the quartzite in the form of metamorphic rocks.
- Varieties Available in Markets – The ceramic tiles are mostly graded according to the strength bearing capacity and the ones with higher grades can bear heavy loads along with multiple footprints. Moreover, there are also vitrified tiles, mosaic tiles and even metal tiles available for use on the floors. On the contrary, apart from the marbles, you can also use the slates, granites, travertine and the limestone for your interior flooring. Even you can also use these stones for designing your pavement, pathways and driveways and poolside areas. But you cannot use hard tiles on these exterior areas because tiles cannot provide you robust and heavy load bearing capacity when compared to stone flooring.
- Flooring Expenses – One of the main differences between tiling and stone flooring is based on the prices of these flooring materials. The tiles are easily available at much cheaper costs than the marbles and other flooring stones, and people can easily use the tiles on their interior floors and walls. On the other part, you would not be able to install any heavy stones on your walls and cannot able to match the walls with the floors. But you can easily use the same times on your walls and floor to blend the color.
- The Durability of Flooring –the stone is much stronger than the tiles and naturally the stone flooring of is much more durable than the floors covered with ceramic tiles. So the stones are generally preferred for the floors of the spaces experiencing heavier traffic, like the floors of kitchen, garage and the entranceway in any house. Moreover, the tiles are more prone to damages, when exposed to severe weather conditions and the marbles can endure all climatic extremities and may last for years without a single crack.
- The Finish of Flooring Surface – Since the tiles are all manmade, these flooring items are available in both shiny and dull finishes, along with different colouring shades and textures. On the other hand, the marbles are naturally available in perfectly polished condition with smoothened edges, providing more elegance to the room.
- Maintenance of The Floors – The ceramic tiles are easily cleanable as these surfaces can be simply wiped off with a damp cloth and tile cleaning reagent. On the contrary, the marble surfaces are more prone to stains that cannot be easily removed by wiping away. The ceramic tiles are also more resistant to the scratches than the marbles or other flooring stones.
- Slippery Trait – The ceramic tiles are specially treated to make them slip-resistant that can prevent any accidental fall of the residents. But the marble surfaces are highly polished that make these surfaces too slippery and accident-prone, which can be sometimes dangerous for people.
So the house owners need to compare and judge by all these factors while choosing between the tiling and stone flooring during the construction of homes.