All types and kinds of drains require regular maintenance and sanitation in order to prevent blocked drains and clogging. It is important to keep a constant check of drains and pipes at regular intervals so that there arise no plumbing issues. If they are not properly cleaned and sanitised from time to time, then they can create unhealthy living conditions. Such plumbing issues not only promote an inappropriate environment, but also lead to leakages, change the pressure of water flow, and may also cause some fatal accidents.
There are ways to prevent all these possibilities, which is keeping systematic and frequent check on the clogging of drains. However, there are home remedies through which these drains can be unclogged, but in some cases, one has to avail the services of the experts. Else, you might be in a big mess. Either way, it is essential to prevent the drains from being blocked. Below discussed are some of the numerous ways to unclog blocked drains without even paying too much for its repairs and other expenses
- Bent Wire Hanger: It is a simple and advantageous technique. Here, all you have to do is bend the hanger from one end. Use it to pull out the elements that are blocking the drains. It is commonly used to drag out hair and other waste, which leads to blocked drains.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar: It is one of the most common methods used to unclog blocked drain. You have to mix 1/3rd cup of vinegar with 1/3rd cup of baking soda, which will lead to the formation of fizz. Immediately pour the fizz reaction down the drain before it disappears in order to fulfil its purpose. The mix is then allowed to set for few hours or overnight. Then wash away with hot water in order to prevent foul odor. The hot water also assures removal of leftovers. The chemical reaction helps in removing junk, grease, and fat and other kind of residue from blocked drains.
- Caustic Soda: Sodium Hydroxide is the chemical name of caustic soda. By mixing 3 cups of caustic soda with 3/4 gallon of cold water, you would get a fizzy mixture, which will eventually make the mixture go warm. That is when pour the mixture into the clogged pipe and allow it to set for minimum 20-30 minutes. For removal of leftovers, pour boiling hot water down the drain, which helps in covering the foul smell of blocked drains. You need to be attentive and cautious while working with caustic soda, as it can cause serious burns and damages to the skin and property if not handled with proper care.
- Cleaning the Pipe: It is again, one of the easiest, yet the messiest way to unclog blocked drains. This method is widely used to clean u-shaped pipes. A bucket is placed under the u-shaped pipe so that the water that is spilled can be collected, then the pipe is dismantled and cleaned and sanitized manually or with the help of a brush or cleaning device. Later, the pipe is turned upside-down, as it is easier to clean that way. Hot water is then poured down the drain after it is all fitted to remove the leftovers.
- Dish Detergent: This particular method is mainly used to unclog blocked drains in toilets. For this, 1/4th cup of dish detergent is poured down the drain. The detergent acts as a greasy lubricant that helps in breaking down and removing sticky residues. After letting it set for a while, the detergent is washed away with the help of hot water and the remaining residue, if any, is cleared off.
Hope you like the above-mentioned Techniques and understand all the things about Block drain.